mpich 'make testing'

Marc Cozzi cozzi at hertz.rad.nd.edu
Tue Aug 7 14:34:19 PDT 2001

Hello,

 Not quite the same problems but I would be interested in what procedures
other people are using to build the mpich package with PGI. I've followed
the
method sent to the list by David Walker will no success. It would almost
seem there is a syntax error in the sed command. After making the change to
the Makefile, doing a make clean then make mpi >& Make.log I get a failure
at:
Configuration completed.
cd mpich-1.2.0/ && BINDIR="" LIBDIR="" sed -e 's at MPIR_HOME   =
.*mpich-1.2.0MPIR_HOME
   = $\\PGI/linux86@' Makefile > Makefile.pgi
sed: -e expression #1, char 58: Unterminated `s' command
make: *** [mpich-1.2.0] Error 1

Tried the method on the Portland web page which is about the same. I see a
lot of
unresolved references to bproc stuff. Created a pgconfig file that has the
following.
Then ececuted it.
./configure -c++=pgCC -cc=pgcc -fc=pgf77 -cflags="-Msignextend -tp px
-DUSE_U_INT_
FOR_XDR -DHAVE_RPC_RPC_H=1" -opt=-fast
-fflags="-tp px" -c++flags="-tp px" -f90flags="-tp px" -f90=pgf90
-prefix=/usr/loc
al/mpich -comm=shared
sed -e 's at MPIR_HOME   = .*$@MPIR_HOME   = $$\\PGI/linux86@' Makefile >
Makefile.pgi

This runs along quit a ways but near the end complains about the following:

/root/beompi/beompi-1.0.14/mpich-1.2.0/lib/libmpich.a(chnodename.o): In
function `
MPID_Node_name':
chnodename.o(.text+0x17): undefined reference to `bproc_currnode'
make[4]: *** [cpi_log] Error 1
** C application cannot be linked with logging library
** Testing if C application can be linked with tracing library
----------------
 .
 .
 .
make[3]: *** [overtake] Error 1
make[2]: [linktest] Error 2 (ignored)
Could not link a C program with MPI libraries
make[2]: *** [linktest] Error 1
make[1]: *** [linktest] Error 2
make: *** [mpi] Error 2

Any suggestion you may have would be of great help. G77 is just plain
too picky and slow for the codes we need to run..

thanks
Marc Cozzi
Univ. of Notre Dame
cozzi at nd.edu