SMP Kernel for Scyld?

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Thu Aug 2 03:49:19 PDT 2001

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001, Lambe, Dave wrote:

> Sean,
> Maybe you can clear up something for me? The procedure you gave won't whack
> out my Master(single PIII) trying to boot the SMP kernel? What about the
> rest of my single CPU nodes? I didn't change anything in lilo.conf yet.
> That's where I got confused (again, I didn't want to kill my Master trying
> to boot the SMP kernel, maybe it doesn't matter?). When I go to Beosetup,
> the option to choose a new kernel image is grayed out. BTW, The dual CPU'd
> SGIs were added after the fact.

With the linux kernel, you can run an SMP kernel on a uniprocessor
machine and you can run a uniprocessor kernel on an SMP machine (as
you've already seen).  As far as I know, the only problem with running
an SMP kernel on a UP (uniprocessor) box is a minor performance hit due
to the SMP kernel using a different method for implementing semaphores.