Bonding on 2.4.3, ifenslave wierdness

Aaron Van Couwenberghe avancouw at
Sat Apr 21 17:58:49 PDT 2001

Greetings -

  At work we've been using Willy Tarreau's channel bonding patches against
linux 2.2.17, and it's been working just fine for us. Now, though, we need
to upgrade our systems to kernel 2.4.x (specifically 2.4.3), and we've been
having bad luck with the included driver. I'm using the
ifenslave.c available from that went with bonding.c 0.2
(ifenslave.c 0.7, Don Becker's version). I'm not sure if there is a new one
for the 2.4 kernel's driver....

  I follow the directions precisely, but it appears that rather than
inheriting its MAC address from the first slave interface, bond0 tries to
push *its* MAC into every enslaved device. So I get HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
across the board. It's also trying to set wrong IP/netmask/broadcast

  Here are the commands I've executed:

(after starting without networking...)
ifconfig bond0 netmask broadcast up
ifenslave -v bond0 eth0

here is the resulting output:

ifenslave.c:v0.07 9/9/97  Donald Becker (becker at
The hardware address (SIOCGIFHWADDR) of bond0 is type 1  00:00:00:00:00:00.
The interface eth0 is up, shutting it down it to enslave it.
Set the slave's hardware address to 00:00:00:00:00:00.
Set the slave's IP address to
Set the slave's MTU to 1500.
Set the slave's destination address to
Set the slave's broadcast address to
Set the slave's netmask to
Set the slave's flags 1043.
DEBUG: argc=4, optind=2 and argv[optind] is bond0.
SIOCSIFSLAVE: Invalid argument.

Now, I really don't know what's going on here; it seems almost as if
ifenslave is making these values up. What should I do? Do I have the wrong
version of ifenslave? I wind up with eth0 configured but at hwaddr 0 just
like bond0.

Note that I'm running these commands before *anything* touches any network

Thanks in advance for any help.

..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..avancouw at ..aaronv at
	Debian GNU/Linux:

A witty saying proves nothing.
                -- Voltaire