Debian vs RedHat config question.

JParker at JParker at
Mon Apr 23 08:35:58 PDT 2001

G'Day !

I have been using Debian for a long time now, so feel free to ask any

Networking is set-up in the latest release (Stable), via files in the
/etc/network directory.  In there you have 3 files.
/etc/network/interfaces is the one your are intersested in for normal
networking.  The other 2 files are for firewalls and /or security.

It is all well documented in the man pages.

Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more
important than that !!!

"Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project" <gscluster at>
Sent by: beowulf-admin at
04/21/01 02:14 AM

        To:     beowulf at
        Subject:        Debian vs RedHat config question.

I've been using RedHat 6.2 of the past year to build clusters and tinker
with.  Recently I've taken the plunge into Debian (Potato-2.2r3) world and
find that some of the configuration is good bit different.  In particular,

I'm looking for an analogy in Debian.  In RedHat 6.2 (it may be different
7.x), there is a file "/etc/sysconfig/static-routes" that helps bring up
network routing very cleanly.  This file has worked quite well for me in
RedHat's boot and network initialization scripts.  However, I cannot find
similar solution in Debian.  Can anyone help?  If I find I cannot live
without the file I may need to port the RH6.2 config scripts to mesh with
Debian system.

Wesley Wells
Georgia Southern University
Project Administrator