netgear gigabit tuning

W Bauske wsb at paralleldata.com
Mon Apr 16 15:19:01 PDT 2001

Chris Black wrote:

> We have just installed a netgear 4-port copper gigabit switch and are using
> it with netgear GA620T cards. We are trying to get maximum performance out
> of this equipment. What I am looking for is tuning instructions for gigabit
> cards. I have already done:
> echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
> echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
>
> As directed on the AceNIC driver page. I was unable to get transfers to work
> when I tried increasing the mtu to 9000 for jumbo frame support though.
> Right now I get around 39MB/s transfer rate. I am hoping to improve this.
> What type of numbers do other people with gigabit ethernet setups get?

I've seen 40MB/sec on my Giganix cards. No special tuning. That's
fast enough for me for now. I suspect you would want to increase
your read buffers and write buffers as you mention above. Also,
you might look in the driver for a local ring buffer as various
other cards use.(tulip comes to mind) Increasing that buffer count
could help too. Look at your network stats for errors to see if you're
having trouble.

Wes