Cluster Monitoring software?

Alex Alex at compusys.co.uk
Thu Oct 26 00:50:33 PDT 2000

So why is SGI releasing the API but not the good stuff, i.e. the GUI? It
appears to be very nice product, but for users I don't see the point of
developing their own GUIs for it as only the first layer of the total
solution is open sourced. Does that mean that SGI might change the whole
concept with the next release if better free GUIs are available?

Alex

>The things that PCP brings to the table for monitoring cluster performance
>are:
>
>    - centralized monitoring and management of distributed processing
>      (PCP uses very efficient TCP/IP protocols to move the data about)
>
>    - a unified API to access _all_ performance data (from the h/w,
>      the o/s, the service layers and the applications) ... this
>      includes all of the metrics Joseph was asking about, and lots
>      more ... the same API works for different operating systems,
>      so monitoring tools are insulated from the details of dredging
>      interesting numbers from dark corners of each o/s
>
>    - the available performance data can be easily extended via a
>      a plugin architecture
>
>    - real-time and historical data sources are unified under the
>      same API
>
>    - an inference engine for detecting common performance scenrios
>      and raising arbitrary alarms (can be used with both real-time and
>      historical data sources)
>
>There is an open source stripchart monitoring tool developed by Michal
>Kara (details from the News page off the oss.sgi.com projects page).
>
>Other SGI-developed monitoring tools (including 3-D visualization of
>performance) are not open sourced, but are are sold as part of the SGI
>Linux solutions (ACE is one example)
>
>We are always keen to communicate with people who'd be interested in
>adapting or expanding PCP into new performance monitoring scenarios.

Disclaimer
This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Compusys or any of it's affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please notify Compusys Customer Services by telephone on +44(0)1296 505140

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.