Packet Engines G-NICs in an Intel AP450GX Server

Anthony Caola caola@MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 19 15:18:54 1998

Has anyone been successful using the either of the Packet Engines GNICs in a
four-processor Intel AP450GX Server under Linux?  With the latest versions of
the drivers for either the G-NIC I (yellowfin v1.02d) or the G-NIC II (hamachi
v0.07), I can crash these computers by using ttcp:

computer1:
while true; do /usr/local/bin/ttcp -s -t computer2; sleep 2; done

computer2:
while true; do /usr/local/bin/ttcp -s -r; done

The result is that one of these computers will freeze up completely -- the LCD
display on the computer's front panel goes blank, the video goes completely
dead, and the only thing I can to is reboot.

I've tried running MPI benchmarks (since I really don't need to use ttcp) but
the result is the same:  A frozen computer.

I'm using the 2.1.125 kernel (the latest) and am completely stumped.  Could I
have something set up improperly in my BIOS?  Has anyone ever seen anything
like this?

Thanks!

Anthony Caola

Anthony Caola                Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Phone:  (617) 253-6547       Department of Chemical Engineering
Fax:    (617) 258-8224       25 Ames St., Building 66-250
Email:  caola@mit.edu        Cambridge, MA  02139

------- End of Forwarded Message