[vortex] Problems with 3c905C and a 10baseT only network.

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Oct 5 10:30:33 PDT 2004

[ Sorry for the late reply ]

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Steffen Persvold wrote:

> I'm experiencing severe packet loss (receiver detects frame errors) when
> using my Dell Inspiron 8200 with an integrated 3Com 3c905C (device id
> 0x9200) card on a 10baseT network.

What is at the other end ? A hub (= bridge/repeater, no full-duplex)
or a switch (might do full-duplex) ?

What does mii-tool (or better mii-diag) report about the link ?

> but I managed to make it work in Windows XP when I upgraded to the
> latest driver from 3com (the original XP driver had the same
> problem).

That doesn't tell us much 'cause we don't have access to their
driver's source :-0

> In Linux, I'm currently using Fedora Core 2, kernel 2.6.8-1.521, 3c59x
> driver version is LK1.1.19, 10 Nov 2002.

Did you ever run any other kernel/driver version on this computer ?

> If someone have programming datasheets on the 3c905C chip I would be
> more than happy to debug this problem myself.

3Com used to have it available on their web-site (after a free
registration). It dissapeared some months ago...