[vortex] problem on debian

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Mar 28 12:12:00 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, [iso-8859-1] Jürgen Sandner wrote:
>
> > kernel: eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status e401
..
> As I often repeated on this list, the problem is that the system becomes
> too slow to process the network packets. This might mean that the system
> is too slow in general or that the network interrupt doesn't come through
> when it's raised, the CPU being blocked for too long in other interrupts.

To amplify Bogdan's statement: this means that some other part of the
system is misbehaving.  Even slow machines can handle full-rate traffic
from a 3c905C if nothing else is going wrong.

> Saying the the 3Com card/driver is at fault is not realistic - as
> you can find through search engine results, these network cards are not
> the only ones giving this message...

Quite the opposite: the reason that other drivers(*) aren't reporting the
problem is that
  - they don't limit their resource usage to prevent other problems, and
  - they don't check for external problems.
Most network driver messages are reporting external problems that have been
detected, not internal software failures.

(*) It's primarily network drivers from my standard structure that do
this limit check.