[vortex] Error with 3c59x , Kernel 2.4.20

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Mar 24 13:11:04 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Alexandre Aufrere wrote:

> unfortunately, i have a K7S5A, and it's not possible to manually assign the
> IRQs in the BIOS, else i would have tested that long time ago :-((

Then shuffling cards in PCI slots seems to be the way to go... I would say
to try first to get the 3Com card alone on an IRQ line. For example, you
could take out of the computer the video device driven by "bttv" and the
audio device named "Ensoniq AudioPCI" (or disable it in BIOS if it's on-board)
and even disable USB (unless you have your keyboard and/or mouse attached
through it) - then you can probably leave the card in its current slot. If
you cannot reproduce the network timeouts in this configuration then this
was the problem and you could look at how to put back the cards in such a
way to avoid sharing the IRQ lines. If you still have problems, then try
moving the 3Com card anyway to a different PCI slot - sometimes this
helps...