[vortex] Error with 3c59x , Kernel 2.4.20

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Mar 24 09:58:03 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Alexandre Aufrere wrote:

> Well, i don't know if it's the right place. I've seen other such post in the
> archives, but no answer was given.

I think that you didn't search enough... But this "error" is a bit
generic, so a previous answer might not fit your situation at all...

>  NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

This means that it took too long since a packet was queued for
transmitting. This can have several causes, but in your situation I would
guess that this comes from the sharing of IRQ line with 3 other devices:

>   5:      11197          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, eth0, Ensoniq AudioPCI, bttv

If one of them doesn't play fair with the others, such problems can occur.
Try moving the 3Com card to other PCI slot or play with the IRQ
assignement to PCI slots in BIOS. Although the system seems to have enough
IRQ lines free, you could also disable from BIOS the on-board Sis NIC to
free one more IRQ line. Ideally, eth0 should be on its own IRQ line.