[vortex] incorrect checksum ¿?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Feb 7 14:04:01 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Docume wrote:

> When I execute 'vortex-diag eth0' I see...
>
> [...]
>   Vortex format checksum is incorrect (0005 vs. 10b7).
>   Cyclone format checksum is incorrect (0x9f vs. 0x93).
>   Hurricane format checksum is incorrect (0xb6 vs. 0x93).
>
> Is that normal?

This happens when some configuration program fails to update the EEPROM
checksum when it changes the configuration.
The usual source is changing the network boot parameters.

I can understand why the program skips the checksum update -- 3Com has
changed the checksum location and which bytes are checked several times.