[vortex] HELP needed: Cross-over connection to Router not working with 3c509C (Tornado)

Cristian Alonso cristiangafotas@yahoo.es
Thu Feb 6 08:28:01 2003

Hello:
I am having trouble connecting a 3c509C Tornado PCI
card with some routers using a cross-over cable.

Everything works fine connecting the PC and the router
using a HUB and normal LAN cables.

But when I try to connect the router and the PC
(without using a HUB) with a cross-over cable, link
indicators look up, but I am not able to send/receive
any traffic from the PC or the router (IP
configuration is OK).

What pisses me off completely is that with 3COM latest
drivers and Windows 2000 the same thing happened (yes,
not a linux problem!), until I asked 3COM support and
they told me to change the PHYCOMPAT field in ther
Windows driver and voila!, the cross-over connection
started to work fine.

I have tried with the latest drivers available at
ftp://scyld.com/pub/network (version 3.3) and kernel
2.4.20, but could not find any PHYCOMPAT option in
those drivers. Tried to enable debug (7), tried
playing around with the option fields (turning pff
autodetect, enforcing 10BaseTx half-duplex), no luck.

Installed diagnostics utilities, did not see anything
strange (altough I can send anyone the results of
vortex-diag and mii-diag if you think that would
help).

It seems that 3COM does not support kernels 2.4.X, so
I am kind of stuck with this.

Anyone can suggest anything new to try? Anyone heard
of that PHYCOMPAT option from Windows that does not
seem to be available in the Linux drivers?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Cristian Alonso Aldama

Yahoo! Móviles
Personaliza tu móvil con tu logo y melodía favorito
en http://moviles.yahoo.es