[vortex] Re: 3COM VLAN VLT

Donald Becker becker@beowulf.org
Tue Apr 29 12:52:01 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Iordan Nantchev wrote:

> Yes, I read all the documentaion I can find. It's all about tagged
> 802.1q VLAN's.
> My question was: what kind of support are there in the 3c59x driver
> for the 3COM proprietary VLAN technology - VLT, and can one use it
> somehow ?

It's a matter of a few minutes to add the code, and a few hours to test
it.  The difficult part is coming up with good interfaces.  The kernel
module API, kernel locking, and the syscall interfaces must all be
designed and documented.

If you need a one-off static setting, you can do it by passing the
desired VLAN with a module option, and just write that value directly to
the VLT register.  Doing it this way avoids all of the interface and
locking issues.