[vortex] Quick poll

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Apr 3 06:10:00 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Donald Becker wrote:

> [[ Quick poll: I've been considering changing the configuration EEPROM
> report.  The current semantics are
>    -e  Show the interpreted settings
>    -ee  Also show the whole EEPROM contents numerically
>    -eee  For EEPROM values that look like ASCII, print the characters at the
>          end of each numeric output line.

I don't know how useful the last entry is, but if kept I would suggest
merging the last two. IMHO the added value of this is too small to have
its own verbosity level...

As to having everything available from one "e"... I don't know but I think
that the current output from the debug tools is a bit scary for a first
time user with all the numerical output and the fact that the output is
long. So my suggestion would be to:
- put some important interpreted output but from each category (card
status, MII, EEPROM) in the default invocation (without any options) and
make it such that everything fits on one screen (80x24 lines max). This
allows a quick check from the user if he/she understands what the output
means :-) But also print a message that, in case of problems, the diag
reports sent to the list should be obtained with some more verbosity - to
save bandwidth from questions like "this is the diag output, what else can
I provide"
- allow more verbosity for reports; this could probably be also only
interpreted output, but as complete as possible. This is to save
debugger's time from checking in the docs what different values mean :-)
This is something that I started to code at some point, but didn't got
very far; I think that sent you (Donald) some part which was a partial
interpretation of EEPROM code.
- allow even more verbosity for reports where the interpretation is not
known or clear - numerical output (as raw as possible) should be included
here.

Another scheme might be:
- don't display anything for default invocation except a message that
details from a specific category can be obtained through -a, -e, -m or
something
- display only basic info for -a, -e, -m etc.
- display more interpreted/complete output for -aa, -ee, -mm or "-a -v",
"-e -v", "-m -v" or something
- display raw data for -eee, -mmm or "-e -vv", "-m -vv"...

Another suggestion which is a bit separate and probably harder to
implement but would also probably help is to allow the diag program to
read raw data spit by a previous run (last level or verbosity) and try to
interpret it - I guess this would be doable once the intermediate
completely interpreted output is done... This would save some of my time
at least :-)

In any case, let the user know that the basic output is not enough for
debugging and more verbose output is needed.

Huh, after going back through the message, I think that some of the
suggestions are a bit radical, so take them only as a wish-list :-)