[vortex] problems with autonegotiation for full duplex mode

Mike Stich mdstich@yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 22:14:01 2002

Greetings,

I'm having problems with my 3com 905b Cyclone NIC and
it's inability to autonegotiate to full duplex.

I'm using Linux kernel 2.5.39 (doesn't work in 2.4.19
or 2.4.20pre8 either):

dmesg output for the 3c59x module:

3c59x: Donald Becker and others.
www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
00:06.0: 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xe400.
Vers LK1.1.18
phy=0, phyx=24, mii_status=0x780d

mii-diag output:
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Basic registers of MII PHY #24:  3000 780d 0040 6120
0141 0000 0000 0000.
 Basic mode control register 0x3000: Auto-negotiation
enabled.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Your link partner does not do autonegotiation, and
this transceiver type
  does not report the sensed link speed.
   End of basic transceiver information.

and mii-tool won't let me adjust anything because
apparently it doesn't detect the card.

I know for certain that the switch is capable of doing
autonegotiation, because I have another machine with
the same nic running FreeBSD and it works fine. I have
also booted this machine in MS Windows, and that has
resulted in auto full duplex mode.

Cheers,
Mike