[vortex] problems with autonegotiation for full duplex mode

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Oct 1 06:58:00 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Mike Stich wrote:

> and mii-tool won't let me adjust anything because
> apparently it doesn't detect the card.

If at least mii-diag works, it's fine.

> I know for certain that the switch is capable of doing
> autonegotiation, because I have another machine with
> the same nic running FreeBSD and it works fine. I have
> also booted this machine in MS Windows, and that has
> resulted in auto full duplex mode.

Does FreeBSD have something similar to mii-diag that can dump the MII
registers or give a clear text diagnostic indicating that autonegotiation
works and what the card and the partner (switch) advertise ?

Could you also try 'mii-diag -r' and 'mii-diag -R' ?
After running each of them, please wait at least one minute until deciding
that the result was negative - the driver checks media only once a minute.