[vortex] Does Wake on LAN work with 3C905B-COMBO and Suse 7.3?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat Nov 23 19:53:01 2002

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Lutz Bender wrote:

> So by installing your driver and configuring it properly (I read about the
> WOL-Option and setting up the connection type) it works?

Yes, my driver will configure the NIC to trigger the wake-up signal when
the proper Magic Packet arrives.

> What about the Mainboard? I will use the Abit KT7-RAID (VIA Apollo KX133 +
> Highpoint HPT370 Raid) for this System. It supports WOL, ACPI and APM.

Most, but not all, motherboards that claim to support WOL will work.

> Do I have to install and use packages for powersaving in order to use
> WOL or is this a stand alone function?

No, however since you must run Linux and do a soft-power-off, there is
some uncertainty about the kernel misconfiguring something that breaks
the wake-up process.  In general, the 2.2 uniprocessor kernels don't
muck with any of the relavent motherboard chipset bits.  Some of the 2.4
kernels reportedly have mistakenly disabled WOL.

> p.s.: I know it's anoying to answer such questions, but I'm new to Linux and
> WOL.

This is a very complex area -- there are many places were the some
seemingly unrelated piece of code can break things.  It's easier to
debug WOL with a NIC that powers up in WOL mode, rather than a 3c905b
which requires the OS to boot and run first.