[vortex] RX overrun with 3COM 3c982

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Nov 15 07:54:00 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Claude Pignol wrote:
> Donald Becker wrote:

> >>00:08.0 RAID bus controller: 3ware Inc 3ware ATA-RAID (rev 12)
> >
> >Hmmm, this might be doing long PCI bursts, not leaving enough for the
> >Ethernet.  If that's the case, the solution is to:
> >   Change the Min-grant / Max-Latency PCI settings
> >   Set the PCI bursts to much longer values, although the '982 has
> >     reasonable defaults.  The registers to change are the
> >     UpBurstThreshold at offset 0x3e and
> >     UpPriorityThreshold, offset 0x3c, default 4*32 = 128 bytes.
> >
> >You can read the maximum burst that actually happened at offset 0x7a
> >using vortex-diag.  I wouldn't change the UpPriorityThreshold except for
> >debugging -- 128 bytes is already a too-low value for whole-frame Rx bursts.
> >
> Well, I am little bit lost:
> Is offset 7a (windows 7 and 10th byte): it's always 0??

Not the windowed registers, but the directly accessed registers.

Oh, the external version of vortex-diag only shows up to offset 0x3f,
not all of the registers.  You can see some of these values by passing
the '-g' option.

I've just changed this in vortex-diag -- this will be in the next public
version.