[vortex] A 3c905B behaving strange

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Nov 13 11:24:01 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Antti T J Granqvist wrote:

> I am running a Linux RH7.3 on pc server 330 on my local subnet. On the
> subnet is also an adsl connected Linux RH7.3 router and a windows NT4
> workstation. Pc server has an on-board nic and a pci nic (3c905B, eth0),
> which is currently active. Pc server also runs samba and acts as pdc.
>
> Now, when I do filetransfers FROM nt4 to pcserver330, either through
> filemanager or sftp2 those sessions hang. I found the following mailing
> list thread, that fits exactly to my symptoms:
> http://samba.cadcamlab.org/lists/samba/Feb2002/00411.html

Woah!  That's significantly wrong!

All PCI 2.0 and later slots must be bus-master capable.  The only
cheats are some motherboards that share a single set of
bus-master lines between two slots.  Obviously, only one bus master
can be used in that pair of slots, although nominally both are "bus
master capable".

I doubt that this is your problem.

> I've tried following solutions without success:
> - Setting parameters on 3c905B using vortex_diag and mii_diag from
> http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

What parameters did you set?  Setting parameters is far more likely to
break something than to fix a problem.

> Mysteriously enough filetransfers work ok when doing between
> a) the router and pcserver
> b) the ntworkstation and router

That strong hints that the NIC is working OK.

> Has anyone faced similar problems? Do I have to buy a ISA nic?
>
> Btw. Any idea why the 3c905B floods ethernet at boot until Linux kernel
> has initialized it?

It shouldn't -- when are you seeing this?  Warm boot?  From what OS?

> 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> 00:0e.0: 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xa000. Vers LK1.1.16

Grrrr, there should be more messages here.  [[ Andrew?  Bogdan?  This
may be some distribution turning down the message level.  ]]

> Transceiver type in use:  10baseT.
>  MAC settings: full-duplex.

Are you forcing full duplex?
If so, why?

> [root@fisrv002 root]# ./mii-diag -sf
> Using the default interface 'eth0'.
> Basic registers of MII PHY #0:  0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000.

Something is wrong there...