[vortex] 3c905C for a linux router

Ralph Doncaster ralph@istop.com
Fri Nov 8 16:44:05 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:
>
> I just checked -- the 3c905 does not have an Interrupt-in-Rx bit in the
> Rx descriptors.  Most other other chips do, and my drivers always sets
> the bit.  Doing otherwise is really, really horrible idea and will never
> make it into a driver I release.  (Of course if you submit it to the
> kernel maintainer a dozen times, it's likely to be put in the kernel
> anyway.)

I guess it's time to go out and buy some 21143 cards then.  Looking at the
2.4.19 release drivers I don't see support for FASTROUTE.  Yesterday my
box peaked at over 100mbps of aggregate traffic. So with each packet going
across the PCI bus 2x, that would put my PCI bus at over 25MBytes/sec.  I
don't expect to push more than 100mbps full-duplex over 2 interfaces
(400mbps aggregate), but I think 100MBytes/sec is likely to cause PCI
saturation.

-Ralph