[vortex] The mysteries of on-chip MII.

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Mar 15 11:54:01 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Bill Cattey wrote:

> From all the vortex-diag output, of
> before and after values, do you have the bit patterns that I COULD
> use to put my machines back in unhappy mode?

Actually, the best thing to do is to set EEPROM media values back to the
"wrong" ones (forced 10 MBit, half-duplex) then reboot. You can do this
with the 3c90xcfg.exe or with vortex-diag + the patch. Then try first the
original driver which should give bad results, then the driver modified as
in my previous message which hopefully should give good results 8-)

If the guess about writting to this register is correct, then writting the
value for 10Mb + HD _might_ be able to do the opposite: deactivate the
transceiver - but IMHO it's not as probable as the other way around.