[vortex] Problem with 3c59x driver

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Jun 27 17:42:01 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Gintautas wrote:

> I have 3 OS'es on my machine here: Win98(SE), Win2000 and Linux. I'm
> having a problem with your driver, it manifests itself when I do a warm
> reboot from Win98 to Linux (e.g. Shut Down->Reboot in Win and then
> choose linux in LILO). Basically after this the driver shows a lot of
> errors and the card refuses to work. dmesg shows a lot of messages like
> this:
>
> eth0: command 0x3002 did not complete! Status=0xffff
> eth0: Transmitter encountered 16 collisions -- network cable problem?
> eth0: Interrupt posted but not delivered -- IRQ blocked by another
> device?
>   Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 0(0) current 16(0)
>   Transmit list ffffffff vs. cfab8200.

The device was not activated.
What driver are you using?

You likely need to updated driver, with PCI-ACPI power control in the
pci-scan support.
  http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html

> I tried to mail the complete log here but was rejected by the moderator,
> tell me where I could send them.

Yes.  I'm the moderator.   Use a URL, not an attachment.
Attachments are bad.  They are
   usually large
   don't work with all mail readers
   difficult to archive
   unreadable in digests
   difficult for me to verify that are not a virus.

> A bit of information about my system:
> Motherboard: Intel 440BX-based
> NIC: identified in Win98 as "3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)"
> Kernel: 2.4.18

Hmmm, the 2.4.18 should have power state support.  This problem usually
occurs with 2.2 kernels.