[vortex] 3C905C-TX-M w/ Red Hat 4.2 kernel 2.0.30

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Jun 17 08:41:10 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, michael brown wrote:

> Subject: [vortex] 3C905C-TX-M w/ Red Hat 4.2 kernel 2.0.30
>
> I am new to Linux. I'm trying to connect one iMac to my Linux box via
> ethernet and nothing else.

If you are new to Linux, why are you using a rather old distribution?
The RH4.2 release was good, but is now considered outdated.

> I bought, used, a 3C905C-TX-M Etherlink
> 10/100 PCI card. I am running Red Hat 4.2 kernel 2.0.30 (really old, I
> know). I tried running the "rpm -i" command on the file
> netdriver-2.0-3.src.rpm from Scyld, but I get a "does not appear to be
> a RPM package" error.

The likely problem is that you have an old version of RPM.
Try compiling the netdrivers.tgz file, or get the individual source files.

> So, I went to 3Com and downloaded the driver 3c90x-1.0.0j.3-12-01.tar.
> When I compile it according the instructions given in file 3c90x.c, I
> get the following report (line numbers may be incorrect):

The 3Com written drivers don't support older kernels, or older cards.
It's much easier to only support the latest hardware and systems, and
leave the boring work of compatibility to someone else.