[vortex] 3c905CX-TX-NM

Andrew Morton akpm@zip.com.au
Sat Jun 15 02:51:02 2002

Donald Becker wrote:

> > Saved EEPROM settings of a 3Com Vortex/Boomerang:
> >  3Com Node Address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (used as a unique ID only).
> >  OEM Station address ff:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (used as the ethernet address).
> >   Device ID ffff,  Manufacturer ID ffff.
> >   Manufacture date (MM/DD/YYYY) 15/31/2027, division ÿ, product ÿÿ.
> >   A BIOS ROM of size 960Kx8 is expected.
> >   Vortex format checksum is incorrect (0000 vs. ffff).
> >   Cyclone format checksum is incorrect (00 vs. 0xff).
> >   Hurricane format checksum is incorrect (00 vs. 0xff).
> > are there any chances to get the cards working?
>
> Yes, but you should try everything else before thinking about
> reprogramming the EEPROM yourself.  Even then, consider the using the
> excellent 3Com warranty before voiding it..

It's a bit fishy that two new cards are doing the same thing.

Well, I assume they're new.  This:
  Manufacture date (MM/DD/YYYY) 15/31/2027, division ÿ, product ÿÿ.
is a bit of a problem ;)

I wonder if 3com changed something, and there's a new magic
incantation which the driver must utter to power up the eeprom?

-