[vortex] 3C905B Suddenly timeout after 3-4 hours usage (Linux kernel 2.4.18)

Edward Tsang edward.tsang@tradelink.com.hk
Wed Jul 10 03:19:01 2002

Hi there,

I am running following hardware configuration on linux kernel 2.4.18

Intel Pentium II 350Mhz
3ware 6410 Hardware RAID Controller
1 x 3Com 3C905B Network Adapter
1 x 8139 Realteak network adapter.

Recently, we can't access the system suddenly. When we go to the console,
the system is up. However, both network cards did not respond anymore.

We need to reboot the machine and the network card works again. However,
after 3 -4 hours usage, the problem appear again.

Originally, the system is based on AMD Athlon XP. We think that the system
board or CPU is faulty so that we replace it with old Pentium II.
But the problem also did not get solved.

I tried to replace the 3Com card with another healthy card (Same Model). But
the problem also cannot be solved.

I also try to recompile the kernel but the problem still persists.

Anyone can give me some hints to solve this mysterous problem.

I will try to run the vortdex-diag and realteak-diag tonight and post the
result later.

Regards,
Edward.