Antwort: Re: [vortex] 3c905 hanging when network load is high

Ruben van der Leij ruben@blacklisted.nl
Wed Jan 30 08:17:00 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 11:21, torsten@thesse.de wrote:

> > So it couldn`t be the hard disk which is `stealing' interrupts. So is
> > the NIC too fast for the whole system (I made a mistake in my first
> > mail: it's only a P60)?
>
> Looks like. I don't have much experience with this, the slowest machine
> that I had with PCI network cards was running at 200 MHz...

> system is a double processor machine with 2 Pentium 100 and a 3Com 5900
> Combo PCI NIC.
[..]
> In addition I have the same problem with a 486 DXII/66 and ISA NIC 3Com
> 509 an SuSE Linux 7.1 Kernel 2.2.18, but in this machine the failure comes
> not often as on the pentium machine.

If its worth anyhting: I copied nearly a terabyte last weekend from a
P200MMX, and then did the whole thing once over after underclocking the
machine to a P75. Neither situation gave any hitch, except for 20 of 30
crc-errors. Speeds were better than expected. 28Mbit/s at 200MHz, and
25Mbit/s at 75MHz, and high rates of interrupts (~8000 i/s for eth0 and
~250 for hdd, which contained the data)

If there's a speed-related problem there's more to it than just plain
speed.

Machine is a Asus TX97 with 128Mbyte SDRAM, Intel P200MMX and 3x900 NIC
(tho I usually use a 3c905C-TX)

--

Ruben