[vortex] Why dev_kfree_skb in the device driver?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Jan 16 19:52:00 2002

On 16 Jan 2002, Joel Hollingsworth wrote:

> Why execute dev_kfree_skb[_irq](skb); after sending in the device
> driver? Do we always wish to free the skb? Shouldn't the protocol
> decide what to do with the skb and not the device driver?

The driver get the skbuff with one extra "ownership point" on the skbuff
(the skb->free count).  When the driver is finished using the skbuff, it
decrements the count with the dev_free_skb() call.  The skbuff is
actually freed only if the count is zero.