[vortex] transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000

Dylan Thomas thomasd@post.queensu.ca
Wed Jan 16 16:22:00 2002

Hello everyone, I'll re-add my two cents worth on this subject.
On Wed October 31st I posted this problem to the vortex-bug newsgroup, but
since that time, only one person had responded.  (not to the newsgroup,
directly to me..)

Here is a link to my original post.

http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/vortex-bug/2001-October/001017.html

The person who responded to my post mentioned the following...

--------

I also have the same problem, but only when connected at 100Mbit/Full
duplex, when I connect to an old hub at 10 Mbit I have no problem at all.
I browsed the code to see when the error message is generated and
discovered that :

in the recent 2.2.20 kernel TX_TIMEOUT is set to (400*HZ)/1000, whereas in
the 0.99U version it is set to 2*HZ

Just for curiosity I tried to change this value to 4*HZ and no more
transmit timeouts occured any more. (I do a tar -zcvf of the whole disk
over the network to test).

Just did another testrun (under heavy load; eg setathome :) ) and got
again tx_timeouts. increasing TX_TIMEOUT to 6*HZ .... and no more errors.
Something is definitely wrong here with the timings.

Maybe this helps you.

Gerhard

------

I have NOT had a chance to verify this, as I am still using the old kernel
(2.2.16) and driver on my cluster.. Perhaps this message will help

Sincerely

-Dylan