[vortex] Tyan Thunder K7 S2462 Dual 3c59x

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 15 15:05:02 2002

Kirk, please read at least the final part of the message...

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Donald Becker wrote:

> It's not clear that the EEPROM is broken.

Sure, as long as there is no specific documentation about these chips.
However, if we assume that the documentation for 905C still stands, the
content is simply not valid.

> I believe that 0x9807 is just
> a new ID for a 3c980-on-motherboard implementation, similar to the
> previous minor changes in product ID.  For instance the 3c905 series used
> 0x905*, with a different number for each implementation/transceiver
> combination.

I'm not debating this. My concern was about cards with invalid EPROM
content; in this case, it happened that the invalid EPROM matched this
"catch-all" pattern; but what if it didn't ? Your driver would then behave
like the LK driver does now.

I actually wonder what would happen if I would put a DEC-based card PCI ID
in this EPROM. Would the tulip driver detect it and try to drive it ?

> I've used the pci-scan matching code for about 2.5 years with
> essentially no interface changes.  It has been much more stable,
> functional and compatible than the kernel PCI matching code.

Ouhh, far from me to criticize this. I didn't mean at all to touch PCI
scanning matters... I appologize if it looked like this!

To come back to EPROM problems, I modified a bit vortex-diag to be able to
save and load an EPROM image file. It's available along with a short
description at:

http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/groups/biocomp/bogdan/tornado/

I used it with a Tornado card and it worked fine, but of course YMMV.
So, Kirk, if you're willing, you can use it by saving the image from the
first adapter and loading it to the second adapter. If you want to modify
the MAC address, you need to use a hex editor to modify it before you
load it, but then it might be better if you would just load it like it is
then use the "-H" option of vortex-diag (along with "-w" after making sure
that it looks like you want to).