[vortex] 3C905C-TX-M vs 3C905CX-TXM

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Aug 20 18:53:01 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 osk@osk.ch wrote:

> Yup. http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/ea-20.08.02-000/ gives the
> answer. My cards (I bought two of them) are what you see on the
> bottom side of the second picture.

Hey, good catch ! It seems that I should read these news more often...

For non-German speakers that are still interested in the subject: it says
that forged cards appeared on the market. They lack the MAC address on
the label just above the product name (which I just observed is also
different, 3Com's naming so far was CX-TX-M while the forged one is CX-TXM
missing one hyphen). Apparently the cards do work with existing Windows
and Linux drivers and in Linux 'lspci -v' recognizes them as original
3Com.
>From what I can see, the big chip labeled "Pulse" is missing in the forged
board. I wonder how it can work without it...