[vortex] receive FIFO errors on vortex ethernet cards

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat Aug 17 07:47:02 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Heflin, Roger A. wrote:

> Anyone know what receive FIFO errors mean?
>
> They don't seem to be causing major issues, but they do seem to be load
> related.   I get the errors both on vortex cards, and eepro cards, though they
> seem to have higher rates on the vortex cards (the vortex machines are
> faster machines).   I am getting on the order of 3-4 fifo errors a second under
> heavy network load.

If you are getting them on both NIC types, you are apparently running
out of PCI bandwidth, or are having a bus access problem.

> Are there any kernel or network driver parameters I can change to
> decrease these errors?

This is usually caused by some other device on the PCI bus.  We must
know the system (chipset and motherboard) type, the other devices on the
bus, and what the other drivers are doing before we can venture a guess.