[vortex] A couple of 3Com questions

Wm. G. McGrath wgm@telus.net
Tue Aug 13 05:37:00 2002

Hi all,

I'm looking for some assistance in setting up a couple of 3Com
509Bs. I've subscribed to the 3c509 list and posted questions there,
but there is little traffic there right now. Is there anyone here
on this list who can help with 509Bs? Apologies for double posting.

Here's a synopsis of my questions:

I see from the Ethernet HowTo that it may be possible 'to use a
0x3c509 value in the unused mem address fields to order the
detection' of a 3Com 509B nic. Is this possible and if so where can
I find out more?

I have a couple of 3Com 509Bs in a 486 firewall. If possible I'd
like to enable the full duplex feature on the cards - at least on
the inside of the firewall. I've used 3Com's utility to enable this
feature, and 3Com says the card should be detected as full duplex on
reboot. It's not. My Dlink 10/100s are detected, so the switch is
ok. Is there a parameter I have to pass to the driver at boot time
to enable this feature? Right now it's just ether=5,0x300,eth0.

Does mii-tool work on a 3c509B?
When I run mii-tool, I get:

SIOCGMMPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported.
no MII interfaces found

I'm trying to use it to see about full duplex on the cards.

	tia,

	bill

--
"The story of the scapegoat ought to be impenetrable. Myth serves
primarily to hide the arbitrariness of the victim and the fact that