[vortex] Packet-loss and/or interface blocking on 3c905C-TX cards

Gerrit Einhoff einhoff@i4.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Apr 29 08:38:01 2002

Am Donnerstag, 25. April 2002 21:17 schrieb Andrew Morton:
> I'm not 100% sure about this, but I suspect it's a UDP
> thing.  If an application is squirting UDP packets
> out faster than the interface can sustain, the kernel
> just drops them on the floor when the socket send buffer
> fills up.

But I'm using the socket in blocking-mode. As I understand it the kernel
should wait for the packet to actually be send out before returning from the
send() function in this mode. Or am I wrong here? That could explain the
losses, although it seems weird that it only happens for the small packets.

It still wouldn't explain the interface blocking, however.

 - Gerrit