[vortex] 3C905C Hangs

ruben@nutz.nl ruben@nutz.nl
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 16:37:33 +0200

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 09:31:00AM -0400, Karyl F. Stein wrote:

> Any ideas on what could be going on?

No. Except that it might be either a PCI-related problem, or a
network-problem, but probably not a driver-related problem.

> Is it a flow control issue?

Most certainly not.

> mention is that these are RedHat 7.1 machines with kernel 2.4.3-12.  I'd

Try to update to a more recent kernel like 2.4.9.

> If I run ping on the backup server to something else on the lan during the
> "hang", I get some bursts of valid responses, but mostly "destination
> unreachable".

What does arp -v show during a 'hang' and during normal operation? route -v?
Any ipchains on either machine? (You might be blocking ICMP's
congestion-control when that's the case) netstat -ut? netstat -i?

I'm speculating that your problem might be a 'normal' network-problem.

Does the transfer resume after a long time waiting? (ie: 5 minutes or more)

--
Ruben

	Q: How many IBM 370's does it take to execute a job?

	A: Four. Three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.