[vortex] 3c980tx problems

Matt madmatt@bits.bris.ac.uk
Fri, 18 May 2001 16:37:29 +0100 (BST)

Matt mentioned the following:

| I've compiled both mii-diag and vortex-diag, and these seem to work and
| report the autonegotiation. I can post the output of these if it's any
| help.
|
| The card seems to work fine apart from it just drops packets :(

Hmm, fixed the problem. Guess what? The PSU in the machine was
failing. The machine is reasonably loaded with a gfx card, soundcard,
cdrom, hard disk, floppy, lcd display, pair of cpu fans, etc.

If I forced the card to work in 10base, it wouldn't drop packets, but as
soon it went back to 100base, 5%-ish of packets would go missing. After
power-cycling the box a few times, it wouldn't even negotiate to the
switch. If I touched both the switch and the case, it would just about
manage it, until I released them again. :)

Meanwhile, no other device showed any symptoms of lack of power. Replacing
the PSU with a 350W unit has solved the problem.

I dunno about AMD-approved PSU's, more like 3Com-approved units. What are
these cards up to eh?

THanks anyway

Matt