[vortex] (still) can't get 3c905B to work

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:21:24 +0100 (CET)

On 20 Mar 2001, David Fenstermacher wrote:

> I think I may be missing something in
> my kernel that allows autoconfiguration of networking setup.  Anyways,
> I'm getting off-topic here, and I'm aparently not having a problem with
> the driver, so I guess I just need to read up on my linux networking
> stuff.  Thanks for all of your help!

You are definitely not the first to have problems with IP autoconfig. You
might be able to find in the archives smoe other messages related to this
topic. From what I recall, the problem is with the data exchange between
the client (your computer) and the server: for some reason it's expected
to be finished before the driver/card is completely working, so parts (or
all) data exchange is in fact missing, then the client declares "time-out"
and that's all. I also seem to recall some Freshmeat announcement of a
newer version of a DHCP client which claimed that this problem was solved,
so try to see if you can get a newer client.

Sincerely,