[vortex] vortex-diag and the dreaded force-full-duplex bit

Koos van den Hout koos@kzdoos.xs4all.nl
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:42:38 +0100

I have a

eth0: 3Com 3c905C Tornado at 0x6000,  00:50:da:bd:56:45, IRQ 12
  8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, 100baseTX interface.

which is at the moment unfortunately set to force-full-duplex. For as far
as I can find from the source of vortex-diag, it cannot disable that bit
in the setup. I'd really like to do it from vortex-diag to avoid a lengthy
reboot.

Would an update to vortex-diag.c be possible that can disable/enable the
force-full-duplex bit on the card ?

whilst digging I also noticed that:

verbose needs to be 1 or the 'right' part of the card (mii, eeprom)
selected for certain functions to work (I ran into this when looking why
-R didn't happen). This is not clear from the documentation, I only found
it by reading the source.

(the whole full-duplex problem is because of a switch here at home,
lantech mini switch 800, which fails to negotiate with the 3com card)

                                            Koos van den Hout

--
Koos van den Hout,           PGP keyid RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 via keyservers
koos@kzdoos.xs4all.nl        or DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263                        -?)