[vortex] transmit timed out - IRQ conflict?

Martin Siegert siegert@sfu.ca
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:31:15 -0700

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 02:18:57AM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Martin Siegert wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to force all five NICs to use different IRQs?
> > Or what else can I do to solve the problem?
>
> Please boot the kernel with the `noapic' LILO option,

I may not use the correct syntax, but I've tried "append='noapic'"
in lilo.conf and this prevents the box from booting at all: it hangs
when bringing up eth2.

> or use the -ac kernels.
I am now using 2.4.5-ac17 and this works. I have seen an error
"APIC error on CPU00", but haven't been able to reproduce it.
Don't know whether that's a problem.

> There's a kernel patch at http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/apic.txt
> which will fix it.
>
> Patch has been sent to Linus and approving noises were made.
> Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Martin