[vortex] Twofold problem with setting up 3Com PCI 3c900 Cyclone ... continued10Mbps TPO in RedHat 6.1 system, updated to kernel 2.4.X.]

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:49:37 +1000

Martijn Ras wrote:

> Here's the output of mii-diag when the card is up and running under
> kernel 2.2.16:
> Basic mode control register 0x0100: Auto-negotiation disabled, with
> Here's the output of mii-diag when the card is malfunctioning under
> kernel 2.4.4:
> Basic mode control register 0x1100: Auto-negotiation enabled.

Strange.  The 2.2 driver uses fixed 10baseT, and that
works.  The 2.4 driver uses autonegotiation because the
fine manual tells us to, and autonegotiation appears to have
recognised the modem's fixed 10baseTness OK, but it doesn't
work.   This is a common problem with DHCP clients and I
haven't been able to put my finger on it yet.  It's probably
timing-related.

I bet if you force the interface to 10baseT (options=0) that
it'll work.

Usually these problems happen with pump, because it downs
and ups the interface and expects it to be working correctly
as soon as the open returns.  But you're using dhcpcd, and I
don't think dhcpcd does that.