[vortex] does 3c59x run under 2.4.x?

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:38:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, David Caplan wrote:

> I looked through past messages and there seems to be some indication that
> people are using this driver with linux kernels 2.4.x.  I also saw one
> message explicitly stating that this is not yet supported in 2.4.x.  In the
> 2.4.2 kernel code there is 3c59x.c in the drivers/net directory.  I'd
> appreciate a definitive answer, and if it's yes, some pointers on what I'm
> doing wrong.

3c59x exists in 2.4.

For 2.2, there were 2 drivers available for the modern 3Com cards: 3c59x
(written by Donald Becker) and 3c90x (written by 3Com, picked up by some
distributions). As 3Com didn't bother to port their driver to 2.4, right
now only 3c59x exists for 2.4.

> I am trying to get this to work on a Dell machine which specifically has a
> 3c905c.  I am trying to build it under Redhat 7.0, though I'm using the
> 2.4.2 kernel distribution straight from www.kernel.org.  I have no problems
> getting it to work under 2.2.16-22, but   it's not even getting detected in
> 2.4.2.

What do you mean by not detected ? Please provide the output from
'lspci -v'.

>  When I build the kernel the 3c59x.o module gets built, but if I try
> to insmod it I get a bunch of undefined symbols.

You mean that you compile that whole kernel (not only thsi module outside
the kernel source) and you get undefined symbols. What symbols are
undefined ?

> Since it's not getting detected during boot up, I suspect I have another
> problem that needs to be solved first.

If the module is not loaded for whatever reason (in your case seems like
is not compiled), you can't expect the card to be recognized.