[vortex] does 3c59x run under 2.4.x?

David Caplan dac@tresys.com
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:28:39 -0400

I looked through past messages and there seems to be some indication that
people are using this driver with linux kernels 2.4.x.  I also saw one
message explicitly stating that this is not yet supported in 2.4.x.  In the
2.4.2 kernel code there is 3c59x.c in the drivers/net directory.  I'd
appreciate a definitive answer, and if it's yes, some pointers on what I'm
doing wrong.

I am trying to get this to work on a Dell machine which specifically has a
3c905c.  I am trying to build it under Redhat 7.0, though I'm using the
2.4.2 kernel distribution straight from www.kernel.org.  I have no problems
getting it to work under 2.2.16-22, but   it's not even getting detected in
2.4.2.  When I build the kernel the 3c59x.o module gets built, but if I try
to insmod it I get a bunch of undefined symbols.  Since it's not getting
detected during boot up, I suspect I have another problem that needs to be
solved first.

TIA,
david