[vortex] Connectivity Takes a Break

ruben@nutz.nl ruben@nutz.nl
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 03:31:43 +0200

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 08:17:01PM -0400, Donald Becker wrote:

> > eth1: Setting half-duplex based on MII #24 link partner capability of 4081.
> OK, so you have a half-duplex connection with a repeater that only does
> 100baseTx half duplex.
> > eth1: Setting full-duplex based on MII #24 link partner capability of 4101.

> Huh?  You now have renegotiated to full duplex, with a switch that only
> advertises 100baseTx-FDX!

I have seen the same flipping behaviour on Cisco Catalysts talking to
3c509B's. I dont know where I read it, but I have heard people claim that
there's some disagreement on how to implement autonegotiation, leading to
unstable links in certain situations.

I've seen it happen at my previous job. 20 out of 200 machines fitted with
various versions of 905-boards had trouble staying connected to the 20
catalyst 2924 XL's we had. Those machines regularely flipped from 100Mbit/FD
to 100Mbit/HD and back. Replacing cards (same revision), cables and
switchports didn't help, forcing them to the informal standard 100Mbit/FD
did.

--
Ruben

	Heisenberg might have been here