[vortex] 3c905CX things

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 08:55:42 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Donald Becker wrote:

> 32 milliseconds likely means that some hardware designer just put in a bogus
> delay rather than do it correctly, just as some software people put in
> patch-up code rather than fixing a bug source.

OK, but the first reports said that even the 3Com driver doesn't work and
it waits up to 1 second. A 32 ms delay should have been cought...
Also, one of the first reports said that 2000000 PCI cycles were not
enough, but 4000000 were - and the last one says that 50000 are enough.
Maybe the measurements were affected by some other (?) conditions or maybe
there are several different batches (which would be really nasty)...

> It was to support cards with multiple transceivers, or an external MII
> connector.  To my knowledge, 3Com hasn't produced any such card.  An HomePNA
> card would be a likely product to use a second transceiver, but 3Com is just
> putting their name on Broadcom hardware.

But, as you said in a previous message, there is no code for MII
transceiver selection. So, multiple transceivers will be detected, but
only the first one will be used. Are there other drivers where transceiver
selection is implemented (hopefully correctly) ?

Sincerely,