[vortex] Slow thoughput / failed downloading large files from win hosts using linux 2.2.18/3c59x.c

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:24:21 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 lmonin@metaconcept.com wrote:

> 	i've got very slow transfer rate, and downloading files with large sizes ( > 50Mbytes) it often failed
> 	with network errors ( sometimes tx82 errors are produced ).

>From http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html:

0x82
	Out of window collision. This typically occurs when some other
	Ethernet host is incorrectly set to full duplex on a half duplex
	network.

You probably have a duplex mismatch between your card and your hub/switch.

> 	Searching mail archives i found an old patch solving this problem ( it works here ), but i need
> 	to apply it to all new kernels.

I don't quite see how this patch and the duplex mismatch play together, it
probably only hides the real problem.

>  Transceiver/media interfaces available:  100baseTx 10baseT.
> Transceiver type in use:  Autonegotiate.
>  MAC settings: half-duplex.

Can you download mii-diag and run it with 'mii-diag -v' ?

> 	Is it a configuration problem ( and is there a mean to get it to works without patch ) ?

My guess is that you somehow force duplex settings either on the card or
on the switch (if it's a switch) or the autonegotiation fails for some
reason.

> 	Is anybody having the same or similar problem ?

If you don't specify details about your hub/switch and how is everything
configured, any comparison is meaningless.

Sincerely,