[vortex] media sepection

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:45:27 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Question, please:  why do we need HAS_NWAY at all?
>
> The situation is that the internalconfig register has
> autoselect=true and xcvrSelect=autoneg.

My understanding of the docs was that xcvrSelect=autoneg. means that we
want to do autonegotiation (NWAY), regardless of autoselect; autoselect
should be honoured when xcvrSelect!=autoneg; when autoselect is
not set and xcvrSelect!=autoneg., force media type from xcvrSelect.

> In this situation, the driver starts out with 100baseTX,
> finds link beat and then screws up, because of a duplex
> mismatch.  Putting HAS_NWAY into the device table
> overrides this.

Wasn't the same situation with Tornado a year ago ?

> Rather than putting more HAS_NWAYs into the device table,
> wouldn't it be better to make the autoselect sequence
> start out with XCVR_NWAY, and then advance onto 100baseTX
> in this situation?  I mean, the NIC has _told_ us that
> it wants to do nway.

Then why do you want to use the autoselect sequence if you know that you
will end up using XCVR_NWAY ?

If I understood correctly, the HAS_NWAY flag is used to signal that the
card has NWAY capabilities; something has to be kept to signal this.
What to do in case the card supports NWAY and NWAY is wanted is a separate
problem and I offered my oppinion earlier.

Anyway, I think making the autoselect sequence check for XCVR_NWAY would
complicate things in both vortex_open() and vortex_timer().

Sincerely,