[vortex] 3c905B-TX and Mandrake 7.2

Ognjen Jevremovic oggie@bigfoot.com
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 01:42:44 +0100

Hello everybody.
I'm a newbie concerning Linux, but after a few weeks, and a few different
Linux platforms I tested I managed to find out quite alot.
I am no newbie when it comes to MS OSes, but Linux is bugging me really...
Now I need your help ppl.
I got two PCs connected to a switch with autonegotiation and there I got
connection to the Inetnet through the University.
Now, both PCs have indentical Net cards (3c905b-tx) and while one PC is
running Windows, the other one is on Mandrake 7.2 with the 2.2.15 kernel
(to be updated to 2.4.1 as soon as I manage to snatch some time to do it).
Win PC works in Full duplex mode (autonagotiated) and 100 mbit, while Linux
runs only on 10mbit and half duplex.
The drivers are default, 3c59x that are build in as a module. I even tried
compiling the original 3c90x from 3Com but I got nowhere. Got some errors,
and than I gave up :-)
The driver is loaded from modules.config with the single line: alias eth0 3c59x
How in earth do you make this card run in full duplex mode (or
autonagotiation) in 100 mbit?
I tried even the mii-diag from the vortex page, but I got nowhere near
configuring the card.
I did once manage to get a bit better speed within the country, but when it
came down to surfing/downloading from abroad, than I could just forget
about it :)
Right now, I get about 45kb/sec in LAN, withouth going through any gateways
or anything.. and that sucks.
Please help a poor newbie :-)

Best regards,
Ognjen.