[vortex] Activate debug on 3c59x when not in module (3com 905b)

Andrew Morton andrewm@uow.edu.au
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:32:47 +0000

Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Fabien Salvi wrote:
>
> > ps : I don't have any answer about activating debug at booting time, is
> > someone know it it's possible ?
>
> You can modify the driver to set vortex_debug to a higher value, but this
> means that you need to recompile the whole kernel afterwards. I don't know
> of any other method...

Yes, it's awkward.

There was some talk about adding a `debug level' ioctl to
drivers, accessible via the `ethtool' application. This
is something we should do.

Actually, the debug level should probably be hoisted out of
the driver altogether - move it to the netdevice layer, give
it a standardised ioctl number and manage it with ifconfig.