[vortex] At wit's end - help - 3c905B problem: hanging on LAN

Smoke conrad@ceibhion.dhs.org
Thu Dec 20 21:16:00 2001

> > I was wondering if anyone else had experienced problems using a 3C509B
> > card on a LAN, and if so, what to do about it? My configuration is as
> What driver version?
> What is the detection message?

Oops, sorry, I meant to include that. from dmseg:

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:11.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:07.2
3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
00:11.0: 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xdc00. Vers LK1.1.16

This is on Linux kernel 2.4.16.

> Hmmm, it's difficult to tell if the driver is resetting the transceiver,
> or if the link partner (the repeater) is going bad.

Are there perhaps some diagnostics I could try to determine that?

> Hmmm, this packet hasn't been marked as having been transmitted.
> Something is blocking transmits from occuring.

These messages continue at about every 10s until the machine eventually completely hangs.

Is there any other information i can dig up that might be useful?

Thanks,
-Conrad.