[vortex] 3C905B-TX randomly looses connection until reboot

Timo Boettcher Timo Boettcher <spida@gmx.net>
Mon Dec 17 12:10:00 2001

Hi list,

   I've got some weired problem with one of my linux-machines:
   This Router/Firewall sometimes "looses" its internal NIC (it has
   two 3C905B-TX). Sometime the interface just forgets that it has a
   cable attached, the link indicator of both HUB and NIC are of,
   even though the cable (and it's connection to the HUB) is ok when I
   attach it to another machine. The link cannot be reestablished with
   - ifdown/ifup
   - ifconfig eth0 down/up
   After a warm reboot everything works fine. This problem occurs
   sometimes with this box (since Kernel 2.4.2, standart Redhat 7.1
   distribution, up to 2.4.16).
   It *appears* to me that this problem only (at least more often,
   that is now twice in 4 days, after 3 weeks without this problem)
   occurs when I compile the driver as a module.

   If I should provide any further Information, I would happily
   provide it at request.
   Thanks in advance for your help

 Timo Boettcher